Moving can be fun if you focus on your new home, new city, or the new opportunities you have to look forward to. However, it can also be time-consuming and highly stressful. In fact, moving has been ranked by Employee Relations Council (USA) as the third most stressful event in life, after death and divorce. Whether you agree with this or not, you will find yourself doing a lot of planning and putting in a lot of hard work to sort out and pack your possessions as the scheduled move date approaches. To make your move as organized, effortless and economical as possible, you will need to have a good plan and the right tools.
One of the best ways to keep yourself and your move organized is to have a few key items on hand throughout the moving process. Here are 5 items that you should keep with you at all times during your move:
- Moving checklist: Moving is a hectic time and you may forget several important things in the rush. A moving checklist helps you make sure that you will not forget or overlook anything. You can create the list either on a piece of paper, a notebook, your smart phone or tablet (check out our app!). In it, you should include all the important things that need to be done – in chronological order, if possible. You should tick or mark each item in the list as it is completed to stay on track.
- Moving organizer: A moving organizer is a folder that contains all the papers important for your move, including lease/rent agreements, mortgage documents, bills and invoices, your moving plan and moving checklist. It helps you keep everything organized, close at hand, and makes your move as smooth and effortless as possible.
- Suitcase/backpack: Each person in your family should have a suitcase/backpack filled with the necessary personal items, such as clothes, medicine, towel, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste and any other essentials. The suitcase/backpack should be carried separately for quick and easy access. Since it may take days to unpack the other bags and containers in your new home, the things in your suitcase or backpack come in handy until you are fully settled.
- Cell phone: Moving requires cooperation between all the people involved and they need to be constantly in touch. You should carry a cell phone at all times so that you can call friends, family, and your moving company when the need arises.
- Snacks and Drinks: You need to eat even when you are moving! Make sure you have a stash of quick, healthy snacks like granola bars, bottled water, sports drinks, fruit and nuts to keep your team’s energy up throughout the move.
To make you moving as smooth and pleasant as possible, it is absolutely necessary to plan ahead and make sure that you have the items above ready when your moving day arrives. If these are not ready, then looking for them at the last moment adds stress that you definitely don’t need!
To take some of the stress off your move, consider hiring a professional moving service like McWilliams Moving & Storage. With over 50 years of experience moving families like yours, we are the experts in efficient, safe and organized moves. Contact us today for a free estimate on your residential move.