10 Things You Need To Know When Moving From Canada to the USA

There are many things to consider when you’re moving from Canada to the USA.  The list may be lengthy, and this could make you feel stressed and overwhelmed.  Here are McWilliams’ top 10 things you need to know when you’re moving from Canada to the US:

1)      Hire a moving company that specializes in moving from Canada to the USA.  A company like McWilliams Moving & Storage has years of experience in international moving and can help you plan your move so it goes smoothly.

2)      US Customs requires that you complete a 3229 form (declaration of free entry). This form needs to be completed and provided to your moving company before the loading begins.  You can find this document at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/forms/

3)      You will need to prepare an inventory list, a copy of your passport and a copy of the Bill of Landing for your shipment at the Canada-US border.

4)      Make sure all of your documentation for all family members is up-to-date and readily available to avoid unexpected delays.  Keep birth certificates, social insurance numbers, passports and more on hand.

5)      If you’re a Canadian moving to the US, you may require a letter from your new employer (in the US) for verification purposes.

6)      If there are different surnames within your family, you may consider bringing a copy of your marriage certificate to prove marital status to the border crossing representative

7)      If you’re staying with friends or family before you find a permanent residence, be sure to record their address, phone number and names as the border crossing officer may require this information.  If you’re purchased a home, again, have this information at the ready for the border crossing officer.

8)      Don’t bring any meat or vegetables with you when you’re moving from Canada to the USA.  This could delay your stop at the border crossing.

9)      You will require a copy of your Work Visa, Immigrant Visa, I-94 Multiple Entry form. When you enter, you will have your Visa stamped

10)  Lastly, check out the below listed websites for more detailed information on what you need to know. www.unigroupworldwide.com, www.firstgov.gov.com, www.fda.gov, www.canadianembassy.org.

This information will help ease transition when you’re moving from Canada to the USA. At McWilliams, we have years of experience in handling cross-border moves, so you can trust our moving professionals to help you throughout the process. Contact us today to learn more about international moves and check out the international moving section of our website for more information.

Looking for a free, no-obligation moving estimate?