The Township of Lindsay was originally surveyed in 1825 by Col. Duncan McDonnell. McDonnell found the clay loam soil covering the rich limestone bed had excellent agricultural potential and therefore named the township "OPS" after Saturn's wife and goddess of plenty and fertility, in ancient Rome.
The town was originally known as Purdy's Mills or Purdy's Rapids after American settler William Purdy. Purdy, along with his sons Jesse and Hazard, built the first gristmills and sawmills on this site in 1828. Unfortunately, the dam that Purdy had built backed up the Scugog River until it formed Lake Scugog. It continued to back up, flooding the surrounding farmland. The farmers then marched to town and destroyed the dam.
When the post office was established in 1836, the name was changed to Lindsay in memory of a surveyor's assistant who was accidentally shot in the leg during the survey and subsequently died of infection. In 1861, a huge fire destroyed the town's four hotels, two mills, the post office and another 83 buildings in town.
Today, Lindsay is still a farming and lumbering centre. As part of the Trent Canal System and the main gateway to the Kawartha Lakes recreation area, Lindsay's tourism industry plays a large part in the local economy.
On January 1, 2001, Lindsay along with Bobcaygeon, Bethany, Coboconk, Kirkfield, and Omemee amalgamated to become the City of Kawartha Lakes. Lindsay is located approximately 135 km northeast of Toronto on Highways #7 and #35. The community is situated on the Scugog River and is part of the Trent Canal System.
The population of Lindsay numbers approximately 33,000.
The population of Kawartha Lakes numbers approximately 74,561.